When we decided to move to Utah, I was really worried about how Korben would transition from his school in Vancouver to the schools here. I was so pleased to find that he acclimated perfectly to his pre-school this spring and was actually receiving more speech therapy than he had been in Vancouver. I never did get a post of his pre-school days published, so I thought I'd share a cute picture from his preschool graduation:
Last week Korben was tested and blew the teachers away with his ability to read. They were also impressed with his speech abilities and his communication skills. Knowing all the hard work it has taken for Korben to improve so much in the last 2 years, I was about as proud (and a little teary) as a mom can get. When you have a child that has struggled with so much, hearing that he is a little smarty pants is a dream come true. They were very encouraging and are confident that he should be mainstreamed in the next year or so. YAY!!
Yesterday was Korben's first day of Kindergarten. He is attending Freedom Elementary in Highland, where he is able to be part of a "Small Classroom Kindergarten". He will follow the regular kindergarten curriculum but he will have much more one on one attention than he would get in a standard kindergarten class. Initially, I was a little apprehensive that at barely 5 he was going to have to start Kindergarten - but I guess when your child has been attending school since he was 3, the "holding him back till next year" doesn't get to apply. I often want to make life easier for Korben because I worry that pushing him too hard will frustrate him. Making the decisions to push Korben are always a little tough, but so worth it in the end. Yesterday was no exception as I got to capture Korben posing for his first day:
7 comments:
He's so cute!! I can't believe our kids are 5 (okay mine not quite)I remember when we were pregnant with them. wow where has the years gone? that's so exciting that you are in utah now. I am really looking forward to the 19th it'll be so way fun to be together as friends after all the years and kids. see ya soon :)
I can't believe Korben is now in Kindergarten! That's great that he is doing so well.
I love his shoes, btw. ;)
He has grown up so much! I am so glad he is doing well; and that the move here didn't set him back any. Because I really like you being here!
By the way...I love the new profile pictures :) I like having friends that are so goofy.
I can't believe he is 5 either! It is nuts how fast time has gone. I know I'll be bawling when Hunter goes to school, so great job with the no tears thing.
Way to go Korben! He is a little smarty pants and you are an amazing mom! I know with out a doubt he has progressed so much because he has such wonderful parents! Hope to get together with you soon! We just got all settled in...so maybe we can have a play date in a few weeks when I have a better idea of what my schedule will be like!
who the..
whats going...
Good grief who is this kid?
5? When did that happen? I remember when your Ego was Prego with this little guy and you threw up every time I tried to make food...
I hate being so far away from all my nephews:(
and nieces to...
I can't believe that Korben is already 5 and in kindergarten! He looks so grown up! :)
Post a Comment