Sunday, August 2, 2009

4th of July 2009

Well, it has been exactly a month since I last blogged. There are lots of reasons - traveling, partying with family, YW Stuff...but lately it has simply been because it has been over 100 degrees every day and the computer room is like a sauna. Some would say to just skip over July and start fresh; but this is our family journal so I will be spending the next few days (with the help of a fan) catching up. Hopefully the weather will cool down soon and I get can back into the groove of things again.

THE DRIVE
On June 30th I loaded the boys into the car for the long drive to Idaho/Utah. It was the first time that I would be doing it alone with the boys. We made it till about the first exit out of town before Logan started crying....needless to say, that experience is one that I don't care to duplicate anytime soon. Although they really were good travelers, having to drive one handed while trying to hand out food, or toys, or comfort wasn't easy and probably not the safest option, so let's hope it works out better next time. After around 10 hours of travel time, we made it to Twin Falls where we stayed with Cami and Ben. They got to experience the pent up energy of two little boys and I think were a little overwhelmed with the noise and craziness....but now maybe they are a little more prepared for their little boy. :D
From Twin I drove to Kara's house. We stayed up way too late (as usual) talking and watching movies. On the 2nd Mike flew in and for the next 4 days we stayed with Kathy. It was fun to get the 5 boys back together again (the first time in 6 months). They all were elated to see each other and played together so well. The adults were able to have a very missed game night, and lots of fun and long talks. It was a blast and was very sad when we had to leave.

4TH OF JULY-FULLMER PARTY
On the 4th we woke up early and headed to Arimo for the parade. It was the first parade that Korben and Logan had been to and they loved it. Korben had such a good time collecting candy and we ended up with way more than any family let alone one kid would ever need. It was also neat to see 4 of my brothers accompany the flag at the front of the parade. Aren't they a good looking bunch?

Following the parade we had the huge Fullmer Family Photo (the whole reason for the trip). It turned out as well as can be expected with that many people to get together. I am actually pleasantly surprised with our family photo - I know Korben isn't looking, but I still love the smile on his face and the moment that she captured-

And for all those reading my blog that aren't part of the Fullmer Clan, here is the photo of the whole crazy group:
After the pictures, we went back to the church for some food, games, and good conversation. I love this picture that I got of Mike and Korben while we were there...
Mike and I had to leave early in order to get back to Utah for his family party. Before we left, we had Mike take a picture of the 5 Fullmer Gals. I loved being silly with my sisters and getting some fun pics. I feel like the luckiest girl in the world to have such wonderful sisters that are also my friends and confidants.
4TH OF JULY-HARRISON PARTY
After another 2.5 hour drive, we arrived at Doug's house for the Harrison dinner and party. (pretty sure I gained 5 lbs just from the two meals that day) I thought the boys would be spent and kind of cranky, but they were surprisingly happy the whole time. They loved playing with the other kids, on the trampoline, in the garden, on the swingset, and even participated in the water fight. I was so impressed with how well Korben handled himself. He didn't throw tantrums or seemed overwhelmed at all the whole day. This was a huge step for him and I am so happy to know that we can get together with either of the two huge families and not have to worry that he is unhappy or overwhelmed at all.
The adults played the traditional game of crochet. I didn't really get any great pictures other than this one of my SIL Kathy Jo. I decided to put it up because it is a great picture that makes me smile. Kathy is truly a kindred spirit and just as much of a sister to me as any of my own are. I miss her terribly and am so glad for her friendship (even if it is long-distance).
Love you Kath!
After all the festivities, we topped the day off with a fireworks show. With a few added Washington specialties we had a great finale to the night.
Korben has always loved fireworks, but this year he especially loved the little snappers. After each snap he would cheer with more excitement than for any of the other big fireworks. It was really cute to see him so excited for something so simple.

At the end of the day I felt almost overwhelmed with how blessed I am to not have just one, but two amazing families that I am a part of. It was a very fulfilling day.

6 comments:

Samantha said...

Wow! You've been really busy! I love your guys' family picture, it is really great. (We could never do one of Jordan and I standing, I'd be too self conscious!)

You big family picture was also amazing. I can't believe you got such a good picture with so many people. Wow. I'm jealous, I wish I came from a big family (I'm basically an only child, and on one side I'm the only grandchild.)

:)

Shelley Patterson said...

Wow... what a fun but busy vacation! Those family pictures did turn out great. It was great seeing you as well... I still can't believe how long it had been!

Kathy said...

I'm so glad you're blogging again! Love the family pics, they turned out darling. Now you guys just need to get back here, and soon. I tried to talk Jed into a last minute trip to Portland next week, but it didn't work. I guess I've lost my touch. Can't wait to see you guys again. Love you!

colleen said...

It is said that "A best friend is a sister that destiny forgot to give you." I believe that to be so true. And the other side of the coin is that "A sister is the best friend that destiny decided to give you."

~*Autumn*~ said...

That trip seems to have been filled to the brim with things from start to finish. I am so happy that you were able to have such fun with the 2 families and that the boys were able to experience something new.

Great blog!! I'm glad you have faced the weather to update it. :) I hope the weather there cools over there as well as here! hahaha

Kimber said...

I LOVE your family picture. I think it was one of the best taken during the whole picture thing.